The Prize Rules | European Startup Prize for Mobility #5
The European Startup Prize for Mobility (the “EU Prize”) is organized by the European Union Startup Prize, a French association governed by the law on association of 1901 (“EUSP”) under the patronage of the European Parliament, of the European Commission and several partners.
The EU Prize aims at promoting, each year, the 10 best European startups developing innovative and sustainable mobility solutions.
In order to select the 10 winning startups for the 5th edition, the EU Prize challenge is organised with 3 major selection steps (“On line”, via an “Interview” and during an “Award Ceremony”).
The TOP 10 startups of the challenge will eventually benefit from a scale up program offered by the EUSP and powered by Via ID and Roland Berger.
The EU Prize entails a selection process made by European mobility experts, chosen among the partners of the EU Prize (the “Jury”), including Via ID and Boston Consulting Group (the “Co-founders”). The list of the members of the Jury is available at the following address: https://startupprize.eu/about-us/#jury. The Jury can change during the process.
This document sets out the rules of the EU Prize. It constitutes a binding agreement between the company applying to the EU Prize (the “Applicant”) and EUSP.
I – ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION PROCESS
Participation in the EU Prize is free and open to all mobility companies, incorporated in the European Union as well as countries participating in the Horizon Europe programme, and willing to expand at the European level.
The selection process is organized in three levels of selection:
- Level one goes online: an online selection of the TOP 50 startups who filled the registration form. The selection is made by the Jury and will be publicly released.
- Level two is an interview: the TOP 50 will be auditioned by the Jury in order to assess their motivation as well as the quality of their application. At the end of this selection phase, 10 winners are appointed (the TOP 10)
- Level three, see you at the Award Ceremony: out of the top 10, the 3 best startups will be selected by the Jury, based on their pitch and the overall quality of their application and be designated as Gold winners. During the Ceremony, 13 Special Prizes will also be awarded by our partner’s organisations.
At each step of the selection process, all deliberations of the Jury will be confidential and no written decision will be provided to the Applicant.
All decisions of the jury are final and cannot be appealed.
II – DATA
In order to assess applications in the course of the EU Prize, EUSP will collect the Applicant’s data (“Data”).
By accepting these rules and participating in the EU Prize, the Applicant explicitly allows EUSP to use Data in the context of the EU Prize, both for its organization and promotion. In particular, the Applicants explicitly allows EUSP to send their application file and Data to the co-founders and members of the Jury in order for them to cooperate. Applicant is informed and accepts that EUSP can send relevant commercial proposals (invitations, tenders, workshops etc.) by its European partners and Ecosystem partners. A list of partners of the EU Prize can be found at the following address: https://startupprize.eu/home/about-us/.
III – SELECTION CRITERIA
There are 9 key selection criteria for the EU Startup Prize:
#1 Innovation: How innovative/game-changing is this product/service?
#2 Market: How does the traction look for this startup?
#3 Execution: How would you assess the execution speed of the company since its incorporation?
#4 Team: How strong and gender-balance does the managing team look?
#5 Climate: How does it contribute to reducing the carbon footprint in the transports’ sector?
#6 Environmental impact: How does it tackle other environmental issues such as air pollution, water pollution, use of natural resources, etc.?
#7 Social inclusion: How does it increase accessibility, safety and reduce transportation costs for its users?
#8 Territorial inclusion: How does the service/product contribute to reconnecting remote areas, which are suffering from a lack of mobility solutions?
A better European Union:
#9 Europe: How much will this startup benefit from this European program?
The list of criteria is not comprehensive but the above details are provided to give Applicant a better idea on the selection process.
IV – THE ACCELERATION PROGRAMME
Winners of the EU Prize will be awarded with the following dedicated programme, including investment and trade opportunities, mentoring, European visibility.
1. TOP 3:
TOP 3 startups will benefit from a personalized business consultancy package, provided by international management consultancy company Roland Berger. This will help them boost their business across Europe and beyond!
2. TOP 10:
TOP 10 startups will benefit from:
- Dedicated investment opportunities, pitching to our partner European investors, private and institutional, including the European Investment Bank, EIT Urban Mobility, VCs, CVCs, and others.
- Visibility opportunities, including a European tour to major tech fairs across Europe where they can present their technology; participation in our new podcast, and more.
Dedicated 3 months’ long Acceleration and Investment Program, focusing on investment opportunities, communications, market expansion and public affairs – powered by Via ID.
4. Entire community of startups:
The EUSP ecosystem of experts will engage with the whole community of startups via tailored workshops as part of the EUSP all-year mentoring program.
Focus on scaling up in Europe by connecting with EU decision makers, better understanding opportunities for EU funds and exploring national and local regulations, local tech ecosystems of different regions in Europe
V – SPECIAL PRIZES
In addition to our TOP 10 winning startups, we will award 13 Special Prizes, each in collaboration with one of this edition’s partners.
During the selection process, applicants will be asked to tick one or several of the categories below (no limits), depending on where they fit the best:
- Urban Mobility
- Logistics and Freight
- Sustainable Passenger Experience and Operational Excellence
- Corporate Mobility and Inter-modality
- Digital and Green Rail Mobility
- Zero Emission Vehicles
- River Mobility
- Circular Mobility Design and Manufacturing
- Sustainable and Digital Highway Infrastructure
- Inclusive Mobility
- Fintech for Mobility
Those categories will allow startups to apply for every Special Prize they wish (no limits) and help the Jury to better assess your application.
VI – KEY DATES OF THE EU PRIZE
- 19 April 2023: Launch of the call for applications
- 20 June 2023: Closing of the call for applications
- 14 September 2023: Announcement of the TOP 50
- 19 October 2023: Announcement of the TOP 10
25 October 2023: Award Ceremony
VII – CONFIDENTIALITY
EUSP guarantees Applicant the full confidentiality of all information communicated during the EU Prize selection process. EUSP ensures that the Jury, European partners and Co-founders of the EU Prize will maintain the same level of confidentiality in accordance with the principles set out in the Article II.
VIII – CANCELLATION OF THE EU PRIZE
EUSP may cancel the EU Prize at any time. If so, the Applicant will be individually informed at the earliest opportunity.