This challenge is available for students/recent graduates from Hong Kong & Macau only.
Decarbonise Transportation in our City
Come up with your most innovative ideas to help CLP reduce carbon emissions from transportation in Hong Kong
CLP Power is committed to promoting clean transportation in Hong Kong through education and collaboration with the government and the community. Decarbonisation is essential to guarantee the long-term sustainability of the global economy which CLP is committed to leading this transition.
Emissions from Public Transportation
- Emissions from transportation have been shown to have significant negative health impacts and diesel engines have come into focus in recent years as they have much higher emissions
- Urban air quality is becoming a major issue in cities around the world
- Urban transportation include private vehicle, bus, taxi, rail and ferry
Global Electric Vehicle Trend
- As the world’s urban population continues to grow, identifying sustainable, cost effective transportation options is becoming more critical – electrifying transportation is one of the options
- Globally at the moment, only one in 250 cars on the road is electric. Battery electric cars comprise 2.1% of new global auto sales (about 2 million passenger vehicles)
- Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) 2019 Electric Vehicle Outlook Report sees the total EV vehicles soaring to 548 million by 2040, or about 32% of the world’s passenger vehicles
- To meet decarbonisation targets by 2050, it's forecasted that 70% of newly manufactured cars must be electric
New Business / Collaboration Model
- A multiple-wins model/strategies to decarbonise Hong Kong public transportation
- Innovative investment / strategy model on electric public transportation infrastructure
- The best way to engage stakeholders – government, business, finance institutes, industries, citizens for development
Policy and Public Awareness
- Incentivising electric public transportation adoption
- Effectively soliciting policy-makers and stakeholders in speeding up public transportation decarbonization
- Enhancing public awareness of the benefits from decarbonization of transportation
CLP is looking for innovative solutions in (but not limited to):
- Raising citizens’ awareness of the benefits brought by decarbonised transportation
- Creating new collaboration (or business model) with public transportation operators and stakeholders
- Introducing new funding model for transportation upgrade
- Expanding infrastructures in the city for electric transportation
- Reducing road side emissions
- Speeding up electrification of urban transportation in Hong Kong
CLP Power Hong Kong Limited
CLP Power Hong Kong Limited (CLP Power) is the Hong Kong utility subsidiary wholly owned by CLP Holdings Limited, a company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and one of the largest investor-owned power businesses in Asia.
CLP Power operates a vertically integrated electricity supply business in Hong Kong, and provides a highly reliable supply of electricity and excellent customer services to 6 million people in its supply area.